Most beachfront houses treat the ocean as part of the visual landscape with panoramic views and wraparound balconies. Tom Lloyd-Butler’s beach house by Ernest Born, however, is deeply interior, and far more interested in its tranquil inner courtyard than anything beyond. One transparent addition later, the avid surfer has a new outlook.
@current / @total
- Footbridges can join an older structures to a new additions, or close a gulf between a house and the street. And when good design is part of the mix, they can add a decorative touch.
- If you're lucky enough to own a home with "Neutra bones," here are six examples of how to update the mid-century feel for modern living.
- Through an exhibition at a California museum, an award-winning San Francisco architecture firm offers a glimpse into its design process.
- On a quest to create a weekend house for herself and her husband, Nancy Church scaled back her design fantasies and discovered creative ways to build on a budget.
- The metal exteriors of these buildings range from lightly oxidized to coated in rich red layers of rust.
- Dwell loves a good outdoor shower or al fresco tub. Here, five of our favorite ways to bathe outdoors, from Wisconsin to Japan.
- Dwell spotlights the coolest modern backyards from the pages of our magazine.
- Calling upon midcentury modern archetypes, Curt Cline of Modern House Architects designed a residence in Los Altos, California, built with Passive House principles in mind.