The Glass Awning
Last month architect Jenda Michl of Vertu Studio in Los Angeles completed a lovely bit of work on his parents' house in Boulder, Colorado. A project that began as a sculptural glass awning turned into a custom screen door as well, and now a few years after getting underway the pair are finally finished and looking strong. Michl, who I've had the pleasure of getting to know at Dwell on Design over the last two years, shares the story of the spanking new entryway of his boyhood home. All photos by Daniel O'Connor.
Showing image @current of @total
- Tres Birds Workshop design principal Mike Moore likes making people think.
- Summer days are long in Scandinavia, and we can't think of any better place to spend the sunny hours than in—and around—these chic and stylish summer houses.
- A spot to foster conviviality with passersby, a place to perch a chair and enjoy the outdoors, a threshold between inside and out, and an informal living room for neighborhoods—the porch is…
- Dwell's popular Home Tours included a Breezehouse by Blu Homes in Healdsburg as a bonus tour during this spring's Marin Home Tours.
- When they want to escape the mayhem of city life in Chicago, Diane Pascal and Thomas Richie retreat to their low-profile getaway in Hennepin, Illinois, a town where agriculture and ecology are still…
- Shipping containers are ubiquitous in Houston, though unlike the four that make up this new home, they're usually filled with foreign goods rather than flourishing lives.
- A family discovers the joys of DIY design—and muddy feet—in their home made up of distinct pods that blends harmoniously with its surroundings in the rainy mountains of Kauai.
- Designer Jens Risom returns to his 1967 prefab off the coast of Rhode Island, readying it for his family's next generation.