The Glass Awning
Last month architect Jenda Michl of Vertu Studio in Los Angeles completed a lovely bit of work on his parents' house in Boulder, Colorado. A project that began as a sculptural glass awning turned into a custom screen door as well, and now a few years after getting underway the pair are finally finished and looking strong. Michl, who I've had the pleasure of getting to know at Dwell on Design over the last two years, shares the story of the spanking new entryway of his boyhood home. All photos by Daniel O'Connor.
@current / @total
- The front door is a sure sign of a successful journey home, and as these houses prove, modern architecture can be just as homey and inviting as its traditional counterparts.
- Polish up your patio this summer with verdant green walls, unique sculptural elements, and an open layout.
- A natural disaster cleared a property in the Colorado mountains, giving an architect and her family a blank slate on which to build their green dream home.
- At Dwell, we're always exploring ideas for making the most of mixed-use spaces with clever modifications. Installing sliding doors can make the most of any space with versatile and affordable style.
- A family discovers the joys of DIY design—and muddy feet—in their home made up of distinct pods that blends harmoniously with its surroundings in the rainy mountains of Kauai.
- When they want to escape the mayhem of city life in Chicago, Diane Pascal and Thomas Richie retreat to their low-profile getaway in Hennepin, Illinois, a town where agriculture and ecology are still…
- In 1981, Londoners Anthony and Gillian Blee purchased the ultimate fixer-upper.
- Law professor Carole Goldberg and sociology professor Duane Champagne both teach at the University of California, Los Angeles.