Footbridge / Addition in Cuernavaca
On a gently sloping lot in the middle of a pine forest at the northern edge of Cuernavaca, Mexico, is a family compound with a recent addition conceptualized by local architect Alfredo Raymundo Cano Briceño of T3arc. Linked to the 1,300-square-foot main house by a glass-covered footbridge, the addition, which measures just under 500 square feet, includes three bedrooms and one bathroom for the children, Santiago, Mariano, and Natalia, who range in age from three to eight. Working within a tight budget for owners Fernando and Geny, Cano repurposed pine he had used as framework for previous projects, and covered the exterior with protective clear plastic panels he retrieved from an industrial landfill. Cano says the structure fits well with the surrounding eclectic architecture, which ranges from traditional brick and Spanish colonial–style houses to the postmodern style of the main house. “Mexico’s diversity of architecture makes a perfect disorder,” he says.
Showing image @current of @total
- From a striking catwalk to a glass-walled skybridge, we cover walkways and platforms the span great divides.
- In honor of our just having landed at Design Week Mexico, Dwell presents a few of our favorite modern houses in the country.
- Last weekend, The Art of Structure opened at the Carnegie Museum of Art Heinz Architectural Center.
- Eight riffs on the cozy cabin typology that make the most of a forest setting with modern architecture that connects to the outdoors.
- A look at 17 of the longest, tallest, most artful bridges on the planet.
- The specter of one's grown child moving back home doesn't excite all parents, but in Surakarta, in the Central Java Province of Indonesia, one couple took the homecoming as an opportunity to double…
- Most beachfront houses treat the ocean as part of the visual landscape with panoramic views and wraparound balconies.
- On a recent sunny San Franciscan morning, associate editor Miyoko Ohtake put on a yellow vest, protective goggles, and a hardhat to partake in a deep-access tour of the new San Francisco-Oakland Bay…