Floating House, Lake Huron
- Islands provide their inhabitants with a sense of peace, and their architects with a set of real challenges, from rough topography to sites reachable only by boat.
- They may range from humble wood cabins to contemporary architectural masterpieces, but the following 6 houses have one thing in common: each beautifully complements its lakeside setting.
- You may not be able to get away from your desk today, but you can take a short visual vacation courtesy of these eight scenes from the Dwell archives.
- A handful of homes who modernize their lake- or seaside locations with horizontal slats, lots of wood, and vernacular references.
- You'll never tear us away from the flat-roof modernism so prevalent in Dwell's pages over the last 12 years; nor would we try to eschew touting the glory of mid-century housing typologies.
- Whether you're going up or going down, an artfully constructed staircase never takes you in the wrong direction.
- Spying a body of water—be it a placid lake, roaring ocean, glassy pond, or snaking river—from your bedroom window is one of the fairest sights one can see.
- Canada’s natural lush terrain gets accented by these five great homes.