The First Wave
- Building green can be a challenge to really pull off—not to mention afford—but as the following seven houses from our pages show, the payback is huge.
- Sustainable consultant to the stars Jordan Harris convinces Hollywood starlets to go hybrid, but when it came to greening his own home, he enlisted outside help.
- It’s impossible to ignore nature in Big Sur.
- Modernist furniture may signal worldly tastes, but its American origins lie in Michigan’s humble reaches.
- A house that survived the Great Quake and the intervening decades is reborn after a serious intervention by a modernist architect.
- When it comes to material originality, this former tavern in Chicago’s trendy Bucktown neighborhood pulls out all the stops. Case in point?
- A Norman Foster master plan has transformed a decaying German industrial port into a vibrant neighborhood.
- The budget was nearly as tight as the space in this cheerful renovation of a 516-square-foot flat in Bratislava.