Concrete Proof: 9 Ways to Design with Cement
- Named after its raw aesthetic, Brutalism in modern architecture features elements of strict linear design and repetitive geometric shapes.
- In this Material Focus installment, we examine béton brut—roughly finished exposed concrete—a modern design idea popularized by architects like Le Corbusier and Auguste Perret.
- From solar power and recycled materials to thermal energy and rooftop gardens, these 10 homes are both inspiring and functional models for sustainable living.
- While we can all heed that age-old axiom, "Never judge a book by its cover," we're swooning over the façades of these homes.
- From a prefab house in Switzerland to a remodeled apartment in the Slovak Republic, these homes make use of an often ignored building material.
- The Decatur, Georgia, residence belonging to two book authors is an angular exercise in creating a dynamic structure.
- Harnessing the power of dirt, sand, soil, and earth, these projects prove that modern houses are not just made of glass and steel.
- Judged by contemporary design standards, the typical postwar suburban split-level house has little to recommend it.