Community of Vision
A mere eight miles from Mount Vernon, George Washington’s Georgian neoclassical plantation home, and just nine miles south of Old Town Alexandria, the colonial bastion that provides much inspiration for Northern Virginia’s epidemic of multimillion-dollar neo-colonial McMansions, sits Hollin Hills, one of the country’s most progressive housing developments.
@current / @total
- Set amongst lush greenery, these houses break from standard suburbia and make friendly neighbors with nature.
- As much as we love furniture, the idea of filling an active space with redundant pieces feels wasteful. These simple entryways rely on strong structure and dramatic details to add visual interest.
- A few years after moving into their stocky, cavelike 1970s bi-level 20 miles southeast of Milwaukee, JJ and Eric Edstrom decided it was time to renovate.
- Perfectly content in San Francisco, the Pfeiffers couldn't help falling in love with a charming mid-century house, across the Bay in Oakland, with stunning views, plenty of trees, and a murky past.
- A new owner with a light touch has kept Marcel Breuer's 1959 Hooper House II a marvel of the mid-20th century whose life will extend well into the 21st.
- We've featured homes from virtually every continent, in locations as far ranging as busting metropolises to serene suburbs to remote islands, with architectural programs equally as diverse.
- After three rainless weeks a welcome tropical shower blew into San Juan, Puerto Rico, one afternoon last May, awakening Casa Delpin with the sound of trickling water.
- We enjoyed revisiting our archives to find some of our favorite examples of modern dining rooms. Some are tiny and some are fantastical, but all are rooms that we wouldn't mind breaking bread in.