Capital Gains: Sacramento Remodel
Sacramento architectural designer Curtis Popp bought and renovated, in three months, a five-bedroom, three-bath, 2,900-square-foot house that had, over the years, succumbed to a growing architectural incongruity. He stripped away the ill effects of the aging additions (shag carpet in the bathroom, aluminum windows, floral wallpaper) and helped the 1943 home—which he shares with his wife, Susan, and their daughter Olivia, 9, and son Fletcher, 7—“return to its glory.” Popp lacquered the main floor, a partially underground space that includes the family/media room, dining area and kitchen, in white, laid down stained white-oak flooring throughout the rest of the tri-level house, and updated the top-floor master suite. To keep the budget within reason, Popp chose discounted display appliances and “seconds” tile, and supplemented his own modern furniture collection with affordable new pieces.
@current / @total
- While in the process of helping his father find a suitable home closer to his family, Sacramento designer Curtis Popp realized he had everything he needed to provide his dad, an artist, with the…
- Danish designer Poul Henningsen had us at the Artichoke lamp, its 72 leaves bursting forth from it like fireworks.
- The hexagon has been long favored in design, most often implemented in tile. Here are examples from our design archives, plus our favorite products that celebrate the motif.
- Second only to the Eames lounge chair and ottoman, the Arco lamp by Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni for Flos, with its super arc, is the classic go-to piece for the modern living room.
- Whether it’s a first apartment or a penthouse in the sky, these notoriously small spaces can house big style. Click through the slideshow to see some of our favorite fancy flats.
- If your itty bitty bathroom is ready for a redo, check out these 12 projects that make the most of limited space with clever tricks.
- In the Pacific Heights neighborhood of San Francisco, what started off as a decorating job turned into a full-blown renovation for Nicole Hollis, founder of Nicole Hollis Interior Design.
- Spring is finally here, bringing more opportunities to hit the terrace for meals. Here are 11 of our favorite ways to set up for modern outdoor dining.