Burchfield Penney Art Center
If there's one thing that describes Buffalonians, it's pride. Whether it's in the form of tirelessly cheering on our Buffalo Bills or even boasting about the annual snowfall, we'll sing it loudly. And though we have yet to win that Superbowl (a very sensitive subject), the city has certainly won the hearts of architecture fans—capturing them anew in 2008 with the completion of the Burchfield Penney Art Center designed by Gwathmey Siegel & Associates Architecture and certified as New York state's first LEED art museum.
@current / @total
- "Hedonistic Sustainability," scenes from New York Fashion Week, an homage to Gene Kelly, Magda Biernat's images of a "disorienting universality," and illustrations of feline…
- This summer will see the completion of the final stages of the Clark Art Institute's campus expansion program.
- I traveled to Toronto last week to serve on the curatorial committee of Twenty+Change, report a story, and check out the city's current design scene.
- This summer, the Danish Architecture Center in Copenhagen opened an exhibition celebrating the work of Pritzker Prize-winning Japanese design studio Sanaa.
sponsored by AIANY
Archtober (ärk'tōbər), Architecture and Design Month in New York City returns for 2013!
The third annual city-wide festival, October 1-31, 2013, captures the extraordinary diversity of New York’s design world with more than 150 lectures, tours, programs, and exhibitions happening at the festival’s hub, the Center for Architecture and at 50 collaborating institutions across the city. With its curated calendar featuring established museums like the Guggenheim Museum and the Museum of Arts and Design to start-ups like the Brooklyn Navy Yard Center at Building 92, Archtober events illuminate the richness of the city’s constructed environment. “New York City is a world design capital,” says Jill N Lerner, FAIA, 2013 American Institute of Architects New York President. “Building on the first two years, Archtober 2013 will shine a spotlight on what makes New York great: its unparalleled architecture, outstanding design professionals, and global influence.”
Dwell and New York Magazine are proud media sponsors of Archtober
- What is a home? There's the obvious answer of a place of residence or--at an even more elementary level--a structure that provides shelter.
- It’s been the talk of L.A.
- This week we're adding a new feature to our weekly Out and About articles: slideshows featuring images from each of the weekend's highlighted exhibitions.