The Bellwether of Belvedere
- Building green can be a challenge to really pull off—not to mention afford—but as the following seven houses from our pages show, the payback is huge.
- A husband-and-wife architect team proves a house can be good for the environment—and look great too.
- Without altering its turn-of-the-20th-century facade, architect Christopher Polly transformed the rear of this Newtown, Australia, home from bleak to bright.
- Coffee shop and bakery owner Greg Martin kept baker’s hours to whip this chimerical Minneapolis building into a modern confection.
- "Personally, I’d rather be living outside,” says architect David Hertz. As a young man surfing in Bali, he was impressed by tropical village compounds where indoors and out flow into each other.
- Enric Ruiz-Geli’s firm Cloud9 designed the suburban house of the future—it also happens to be sustainable.
- Boston's rich history is potently infused into its dense, bustling neighborhoods, where the same brick walls that once contained cobbler shops now house Internet startups.
- Mill Valley, California, might not be a hotbed of modernism, but it was here, ten years ago, that Dwell came into the world alongside founder Lara Hedberg Deam’s first home—now renovated…