Above the Fray
- A San Francisco architect turns his “inefficiency” kitchen into a modestly scaled and well-lit place to cook, eat, work, and enjoy the view—–even with his back turned.
- Architecture and food are both best when experienced first-hand, so what better way is there to celebrate the restaurant designs of CCS Architecture than by joining in on an eating tour with the…
- Last week, I attended "Public Eateries: A Conversation on Designing Restaurants in the Era of Food," an event with a slightly nonsensical name (who knew we were in "the era of…
- Need a proper, grown-up bar setup for entertaining friends?
- Interior and furniture designer Nick Dine—son of pop artist Jim Dine—has a love-hate relationship with his 2,000-square-foot Hudson Square condo loft.
- In architecturally conservative San Francisco, this house built on a 20-foot-wide lot proves that modern design can fit—literally and figuratively—in any neighborhood.
- From the deck of this waterfront house, the scenery is abuzz with Northern California wildlife–but there's not a utility bill in sight.
- An affordable city-living situation need not come to an end once children are in the picture; these five family apartments show how to make it work.