10 Amazing Examples of Shipping Container Architecture
- They’re not just for global shipping anymore: These creative adaptations think inside the box.
The real Emma Maersk is the longest container ship in the world and carries 11,000 containers from China to Europe every seven weeks. This finely crafted wood model is a tribute to this feat of engineering and a great present for anyone who appreciates the amazing vessels that navigate the oceans.
- Reclaimed shipping containers are ideal nesting spots for the residents of these five homes.
- When a pair of San Franciscans recast their loft with a pair of shipping containers, their bathroom got the full industrial treatment.
In a quest to create some private space in a soaring loft, two San Franciscans turned to shipping containers as a design solution. View the final transformation, which includes a teak-and-copper bathroom, an eye-catching home office, a guest room with a custom Murphy bed, and a high-tech wall of "switch glass" that transitions from clear to opaque with the push of a button.
- Each week Dwell.com delivers more than 50 original posts, articles, and interviews focused on the latest in modern design.
- Off the Grid, a recurring feature in the Dwell issues, highlights amazing environmentally-friendly homes. See part one here.