The Scandic Grand Central, Stockholm
Greetings from Sweden! I'm traveling in Stockholm to cover the 2012 Furniture and Light Fair and my home away from home for the next few days is the Grand Central, the flagship of Swedish super hotel brand Scandic that opened in November of 2011. Housed in a building that dates from 1885, the hotel is designed by Koncept Stockholm and is mix of Ace Hotel swank, with a touch of 19th century Viennese luxury, and, of course, Scandinavian chic. The designers call it "a love affair between the grand Vienna-style city palace and street life of Stockholm." It's located just a couple blocks down from the T-Centralen station (the transit hub of Stockholm), which is ultra convenient for travelers relying on trains. For those who don't mind hoofing it—and in a city as scenic and comfortably scaled as Stockholm, my preferred route of travel even in the current -5° Celsius weather—the hotel is within walking distance of Gamla Stan (the historic old town) and Östermalm (where design district is located). It's also three metro stops from Södermalm (the section filled with great boutiques, cafes, and fashionable twenty-somethings). Let's have a look inside the hotel.
Showing image @current of @total
- In Paris's 11th Arrondissement, the Bastille district, French design maven Matali Crasset has composed delightfully unique and über contemporary design hotel for weary travelers to lay their…
- The latest trend in hotel design is none other than bunk beds.
- The latest luxury boutique hotel in Philadelphia is Hotel Palomar in historic Rittenhouse Square. Yes, it's Kimpton, but Kimpton Hotels never ever let you down.
- “There is a saying that if you can make a business successful in Guadalajara, you can make it successful anywhere,” says Hotel Demetria owner and architect, Iván Cordero of his…
- In 1985, the Sprague Electric Mill in North Adams, Massachusetts, closed down.
- Last weekend I spent a night at the new H2Hotel, the sister property of Hotel Healdsburg, which is one of my favorite places to stay in Sonoma County.
- Just a few months ago, Fasano Hotels opened a sprawling property in Sao Paolo, Brazil, that highlights the natural beauty of the area. It's so easily accessible from the city that guests are…
- Last week I was in Borrego Springs, California, a tiny town in the middle of the Anza Borrego desert in San Diego County.