Porches Inn, North Adams, Massachusetts
In 1985, the Sprague Electric Mill in North Adams, Massachusetts, closed down. Like many similar western Massachusetts towns supporting heavy industry, North Adams relied on its factories to provide the jobs and sense of community that are at the core of a thriving city. While cultural attractions in nearby Williamstown and Great Barrington had kept the youth and creative classes hovering in the area, the town itself was in danger of falling off the map.
@current / @total
- Whether it's using space smartly for a small home or adding design elements that elevate a hallway to living-room level, here are eight ways to honor the arteries of the home.
- Some hotel designers have an exhibitionist streak that leads them to embed opportunities for surreptitious glances into ordinarily anonymous guest rooms and hallways.
- Taking cues from the flora, fauna, and rocky cliffs of Big Sur, California, Mickey Muennig's brand of organic architecture doesn't stop with the terrain.
- A couple months back I stayed at the Plumpjack-owned Carneros Inn in Napa County.
- In this four-part series, we explore modern hallway designs from Asia to North America sourced from the Dwell archives.
- Wallpaper often comes with negative connotations of frenetic patterns and faded fruit borders, but a new wave of wallpaper design offers modern alternatives to plain paint and plaster.
- As the lines between our public and personal lives become increasingly blurry, designers are helping redefine privacy for the 21st century.
- Austin architect J.C. Schmeil converted his family's 1935 bungalow into a spacious modern family home on a modest budget and with tons of ingenuity.