The NoMad Hotel, New York
One block away from the scene-making New York outpost of the Ace Hotel, in a district mostly known for its wholesale garment industry, is a Beaux Arts showstopper anchoring the corner of Broadway and 28th Street. The recently-opened NoMad Hotel, distinct from the exterior owing to its giant cupola, is not just a coincidence but a companion property (and aesthetic foil) to the Ace. Both were developed by The Sydell Group in partnership with GFI Development, who hired Parisian designer Jacques Garcia to give the NoMad interiors a whiff of the grand dame. During its soft opening this spring, we took a whirl around the hotel, which pairs traditional, swank, and very French interior design moves with a decidedly modern, zeitgeist-y, and still very New York feel.
@current / @total
- With the winter weather comes dreams of an escape, which inspires us to consider the following modern hotels by forward-thinking architects and designers Dwell loves.
- From the high-drama NoMad in New York City to a revived mid-century gem in Desert Hot Springs, California, we've pulled together a selection of our favorite American hotels featuring modern…
- The prevailing approach to landmark preservation in New York tends to be either/or—i.e., if it’s not worthy of embalming, knock it down—which has deprived the city of many fine…
- Last week I spent a few days running around Manhattan (sometimes literally) reporting a handful of upcoming stories for Dwell.
- While in New York City last month, I spent a night at the new W New York hotel, downtown in Wall Street.
- On a budget? Want to travel? Looking for adventure? Look no further than these small spaces. From Iceland to Mexico, these destinations are modern, chic, and amazingly affordable.
- Besides white-sand beaches and warm weather, creative geeks have a new reason to head to Los Cabos.
- The latest trend in hotel design is none other than bunk beds.