The Modern Honolulu
In early April I was invited out to Honolulu to give a talk at the Hawaii Build and Buy Green Expo, an offer I could hardly refuse. And wanting to be as close to the Hawaiian Convention Center as I could, I took up a two-day residence at the Modern Honolulu, a rather cool new hotel just on the other side of the Ala Wai Canal. The hotel has changed hands lately, it was an Ian Schrager property just last year, but much of the design by Yabu Pushelberg and landscape designer Deborah Nevins remains intact. I had a grand time in the sophisticated spot. Read on for my little tour.
@current / @total
- Today, if you tallied the world’s design capitals, you’d be forgiven for overlooking Honolulu.
- German architect and writer Philipp Meuser realizes that Pyongyang, North Korea, doesn't top many travel destination wish lists, but after looking at his Architectural and Cultural Guide: Pyongyang…
- One of my favorite writers in Dwell is our contributing editor Marc Kristal.
- I'm headed to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, to have a look at a house for a feature in the October issue.
- One element of my tour of Melbourne that really surprised me was how much I liked the new Melbourne Convention Center by Hamish Lyon of NH Architecture and Nik Karalis of Woods Bagot.
- On Thursday I headed down to Mexico City for four days of sheer design tourism. Things got underway that night with a molecular gastronomy feast the Polanco restaurant Oca. Parsley foam, man.
- Aaron Britt: Having been to Miami several times now, most recently for Design Miami and Art Basel Miami Beach just last month, I've grown increasingly fond of the place.
- Beginners, a new film by Mike Mills starring Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, and Melanie Laurent, takes place in the Los Angeles of Richard Neutra, Deco hotels, humble Spanish bungalows, and…