The Chatwal Hotel
The prevailing approach to landmark preservation in New York tends to be either/or—i.e., if it’s not worthy of embalming, knock it down—which has deprived the city of many fine buildings that might have enjoyed second lives via a mixture of historic and contemporary design. The Chatwal, an 83-room new hotel off Times Square, exemplifies such a mix. Once home to The Lambs, America’s oldest theatrical society, the Georgian-style structure, built in 1905 and doubled in size ten years later, was originally designed by Stanford White (himself a Lambs Club member), and its facade and numerous interior elements were subject to strict landmarking rules. “I love historic preservation,” says architect/designer Thierry Despont—indeed, he oversaw the restoration of the Statue of Liberty—“but one has to be intelligent about what is important to preserve.” Accordingly, Despont’s Chatwal honors White’s work, and infuses it with a present-day reimagining of architectural history.
@current / @total
- Over eight short years The London Design Festival has grown from a minor design-world offshoot to one of the few must-attend events.
- From the high-drama NoMad in New York City to a revived mid-century gem in Desert Hot Springs, California, we've pulled together a selection of our favorite American hotels featuring modern…
- Seyhan Özdemir and Sefer Çağlar are the principals behind the Istanbul–based design house Autoban.
- One of the perks of being a Dwell editor are the various fun surprises that appear in the mail—newly published books, the occasional small product, even the random staple gun (yes, really).
- In Paris's 11th Arrondissement, the Bastille district, French design maven Matali Crasset has composed delightfully unique and über contemporary design hotel for weary travelers to lay their…
- The latest luxury boutique hotel in Philadelphia is Hotel Palomar in historic Rittenhouse Square. Yes, it's Kimpton, but Kimpton Hotels never ever let you down.
- Summer time means it's time to travel! Whether you're planning on staying stateside or reslishing in a beachside oasis south of the border, Dwell has you covered with these five modern hotels.
- Last week I was in Borrego Springs, California, a tiny town in the middle of the Anza Borrego desert in San Diego County.