Snow Proofed Hillside Family Home in Austria
- The chill of winter is soon to set in.
- Sleek hotels and snowy cabins abound in the small European country once known as the cradle of culture.
- As summer wanes, we present Dwell's favorite modern ski houses—high-design buildings built for tough winter weather, rugged activity, and easy access to the slopes.
- In a leafy residential area a few miles from downtown Kansas City, Missouri, an enterprising architect saw opportunity where others saw trouble.
- A change of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, neighborhood for Rick and Susan Moreland meant a chance to create a thoroughly modern house that owes its sleek, sustainable form to its vernacular roots.
- When building a second home, most people don’t consider traveling farther than upstate. But the Taits built theirs 30 hours away on the coast of Tasmania.
- Design pared to the bone is a high-risk strategy, but as this Australian home illustrates, it can also produce a sublime environmental connection.
- The Lighthouse, by British architects Sheppard Robson, seeks to redefine the future of residential energy by plugging into the sky itself.