Rising to the Occasion
Designer Jeremy Pyles appreciates the transparency of a blown-glass shade, which allows the filament bulb a chance to shine. Pharos emits a warm glow despite its cool, clear exterior.
- With designs from 14 countries and five decades inside, it may be an understatement to note that in this suburban home, furniture is the focus.
- A pair of Arizona–based architects prove that sleeping in a pod is hardly an extraterrestrial experience.
- For all the joys of beachfront living, it’s not without its risks. But with some smart design and sound engineering, this small coastal house stands tall against the threat of rising tides.
- A pair of environmentally attuned architects combined adjoining properties in a Los Angeles canyon to house their modernist menagerie.
- In Ørestad—Copenhagen’s tiny but buzzing new hub of urban development—a mountain rises from the flatlands.
- On Puget Sound, activist and filmmaker Anna Hoover collaborated with Les Eerkes, a principal at Olson Kundig Architects, on a 693-square-foot studio in the woods.
- A couple in northern Italy trade a cramped flat for a renovated farmhouse in the country.