LEEDing the Way
- Project Manager Brad Liljequist chronicles the building of zHome, a ten-unit townhome in Issaquah, Washington—the first multifamily zero-energy community in the United States.
- Architect Jim Garrison of Brooklyn-based Garrison Architects was asked to design a lakeside retreat for visiting families at a boarding school for troubled teens, Star Commonwealth, in Albion,…
AnTeak, by Walker Zanger, is made of FSC-certified reclaimed wood. It comes in seven patterns, from herring-bone (above) to penny tile.
- After searching in vain for an empty lot to build on, architect Brian White settled for a nondescript 1960s ranch that nobody else wanted—and proved that building from the ground up doesn’t always…
- Founded in 2004, Minnesota-based Hive Modular creates affordable high-end prefab homes that minimize exposure of building materials to the elements and boasts a process that delivers a shortened…
Two RISD-trained designers based on a small island outside Seattle hand-wrap their precision-cut mirrors with hemp twine around a border of FSC-certified Baltic birch plywood.
- What happens when the guest house becomes home?