Bach to Basics
- On the shores of New Zealand’s Lake Wakatipu, architects Bronwen Kerr and Pete Ritchie designed a relaxed family home that reclines into its spectacular landscape.
- A pair of environmentally attuned architects combined adjoining properties in a Los Angeles canyon to house their modernist menagerie.
- A new prefab prototype on a Scottish island demonstrates a smart—and superlocal—approach to building in far-flung locations.
- On the edge of a tiny island accessible only by boat, this buoyant summer home lives the life aquatic.
- With authenticity and simplicity as their rallying cry, a Kiwi architect and his wife have built a modern beach house that puts a fresh spin on the local vernacular.
- From solar power and recycled materials to thermal energy and rooftop gardens, these 10 homes are both inspiring and functional models for sustainable living.
- Friday marked the start of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, England.
- Living in a small space isn't restricted to city dwelling. Here are seven pint-size homes situated in far-reaching places.