7 Solar Powered Homes
- A husband-and-wife architect team proves a house can be good for the environment—and look great too.
HYmini is a handheld universal charger/adapter device that harnesses renewable wind power / solar power and conventional wall plug power to recharge digital gadgets.It stores energy collected from a wall plug, renewable DC input, wind and sun.
- Solar panels have a reputation as being unsightly, but this U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon show home sheds the stereotype that photovoltaic arrays are eyesores.
- When we think of alternative energy at home, our minds leap straight to solar panels, the most obvious symbol of a site-generated grid-free power source.
- From New York to Los Angeles, these self-sufficient homes prove that you don't have to live in the middle of nowhere to be off-the-grid.
- The Brooklyn–based start-up SMIT (Sustainably Minded Interactive Technology) was formed in 2005 by the brother and sister team of Samuel and Teresita Cochran.
- Americans expend as much energy on transportation as they do on powering their homes.
- Long before smoke-spouting power plants were relegated to the remote outskirts of the industrial city, large-scale energy generators were common sights in urban landscapes.