Vintage Design on a Dime
We profiled The Vintage Bazaar, a pop-up market in Chicago started by Libby Alexander and Katherine Raz, as our October 2011 Design Finder. Here, Libby welcomes us into her home where she shares the story behind some of her favorite furnishings.
What happens when you’re inspired by vintage interiors and decor, but your budget is more on the frugal side? My house happens. A couple of my secrets to style on a dime are, number one, spend time equity instead of dollars and hunt for treasures at estate sales, thrift shops, and flea markets. Second tip is to make it yourself. Click through the slideshow to get a glimpse of a couple of my more successful DIY projects like the rustic sconce that I wired myself and my marble coffee table with concrete column legs that I mixed up in one afternoon for a cool 65 bucks. Enjoy!
@current / @total
- Thanks to the Vintage Bazaar, a pop-up market started by locals Katherine Raz and Libby Alexander, the Windy City is brimming with prime design finds.
- We recently featured The Vintage Bazaar as the Design Finder in our October Made in the USA issue.
The Vintage Bazaar introduces the classic flea! 70+ vendors of vintage decor, furniture, housewares, clothing, and accessories will be boothing it out indoors and outdoors. Plus, local food vendors, beer, DJ entertainment by CHIRP, a haul photo booth, and mobile makeover stations for guys and gals.
- Katherine North is the principal and founder of Northbrook Design, which specializes in designing interiors for residential and hospitality projects in the San Francisco Bay Area and New York.
Our early-morning-egg-hunt-days are long behind us, but there's something about an adorable bunny that still pulls at the old Easter Sunday heartstrings. These 100% organic cotton plush rabbits are just too darn cute, and would make a perfect companion to a spring day spent eating peeps, jellybeans, and chocolate.
- There's a school of sustainable thought that champions vintage clothing as a marvelous method of maintaining environmental balance– you are honoring the earth by not demanding its resources to…
- This past Sunday, I hopped aboard the 43 to check out the Renegade Craft Fair at Fort Mason.
- Furniture design can be one of the most rewarding, albeit, deceiving parts of the interior design process. It's not as easy as one might think.