Hail Cedar: 7 Houses that Make Use of Cedar Wood
- On a secluded plot of land in Watch Hill, Rhode Island, Brooklyn's Lubrano Ciavarra Architects crafts a modern weekend house designed to frame its landscape.
- Black is the color (or absence of color, rather) of choice for these twelve homes from San Francisco to Berlin to Tokyo and beyond.
- Shou-sugi-ban, a Japanese wood-charring technique, is emerging as one of builders' and woodworkers' favorite trends this year.
- Siding is a pretty dull subject—unless you're talking about charred cedar cladding, which makes our hearts go pitter-patter.
- While the saying, "It's what's inside that counts" certainly rings true, the exterior matters just as much with these six homes garbed with striking facades.
- With House 2.0, architect Pieter Weijnen demonstrates the exponential rate at which green design is advancing.
- Master Japanese architect Terunobu Fujimori is an original thinker, and a pro at melding ancient traditions with modern design.
- No shrinking violets, these polychromatic facades are awash with bright hues.