Detail We Love: Porthole Windows
Nautical influences run deep in modern design, from the blue-and-white color palette to spatial organization. One maritime element that's cropped up on occasion is the porthole—a creative alternative to boxy windows that seem square in comparison. We're on board with this architectural detail.
@current / @total
- Fifteen minutes from downtown Seattle, architects Annie Han and Daniel Mihalyo transformed the neighborhood dump—a lot that had been vacant for 30 years—into their dream home.
- As the weekend approaches, we've gathered ten of our most popular homes on Dwell this week for your perusal.
- Surrounded by lush evergreen forests and famously known for its cup of Joe, this second cool quintet of our favorite homes also resides in the Emerald City known as Seattle.
- As the weekend slowly draws to a near, we've gathered up ten of our most clicked on homes on Dwell this week for your perusal.
- Rainscreens are the modern architect's best friend. In addition to protecting structures from moisture, these application let designers experiment with an array of facade treatments.
- A prefabricated shed sited on a Finnish island provides a perfect summer getaway.
- While the saying, "It's what's inside that counts" certainly rings true, the exterior matters just as much with these six homes garbed with striking facades.
- In these five homes, a well-placed skylight makes all the difference, flooding the interiors with light from above.