An Afternoon with Michael Mundy
Michael Mundy emailed me out of the blue a few weeks back. He wanted to shoot my apartment for a project he was working on called An Afternoon With. He'd seen pictures of my place via a mutual friend, the Brooklyn illustrator Richard Haines. Before allowing Mundy into my home I did a little research. He's an accomplished photographer who has shot myriad interesting design folk like the Toledos, Tom Ford, and Georgio Armani. While his professional work—fashion, portraits, interiors—is impressive, it was his blog An Afternoon With that mesmerized me.
They're not necessarily boldfaced names, but the people he chooses to shoot are fascinating. And through a weekly photo essay he captures their homes, often times modern, in equal precision with the capturing of their personalities. It's a must-read blog for those of us who like to see how other people, everyday people, live.
I caught up with Michael after he shot my home for a chat.
@current / @total
- Critics call Paris a "living museum." If so, designer Erwan Bouroullec curates a must-see list from a compelling collection.
- Beginners, a new film by Mike Mills starring Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, and Melanie Laurent, takes place in the Los Angeles of Richard Neutra, Deco hotels, humble Spanish bungalows, and…
- Dispassionate about his city's de rigueur "City of Design" designation, architect Gilles Saucier shows us there's more to Montreal than Expo 67.
- Chris Houston, the charmingly curmudgeonly owner of Modern Artifacts in San Francisco, is not your typical retailer.
- Caitlin Mociun has been a Brooklyn design fixture since graduating from RISD with a BFA in textile design.
- Meeting design legend Milton Glaser was one of those classic moments that can only happen in New York City.
- Van Bo Le-Mentzel arrived on the shores of Germany as a young refugee from Laos. He was fascinated by Spiderman and dreamed of the day when he could help the helpless.
- One of the advantages of online shopping is being able to sift through thousands upon thousands of designs and products.