- Whether a sculptural noir Philippe Starck or bright-hued minimalist number suits your fancy, there's a dashing modern chair for everyone inside.
- The fall season doesn't have to be all about cozy all the time, some of us may prefer the sleek, minimal look year-round.
- Magis—The Steelwood chair from Magis is a product of experience—the suppliers who punch the sheet metal for the back, which adroitly supports four legs and a beech wood seat, are among…
Each of the nine glass shapes in Riedel’s O line are determined by the character of the wine. Accordingly, the Austrian company offers a dizzying array of mouth-blown, hand-blown, and machine-made crystal glasses at a variety of price points.
Lewis’s industrial-meets-earthy lighting is sculpture for the table. Here, four blackened-steel lamps are joined into one fixture.
Responding to both the perceived inferiority of machine-made objects and the ills created by industrialization, the Arts and Crafts movement sought to restore dignity to labor and integrate art into daily life. In pursuit of these goals, many designers and theorists advocated handcrafting, stressed the integrity of materials and straightforward construction, and, for aesthetic inspiration, frequently looked to the natural world and non-Western cultures, creating stunning works still admired and collected today.
Apostles of Beauty presents designs by the movement’s most notable practitioners, from William Morris and Charles Robert Ashbee to Gustav Stickley and Frank Lloyd Wright. Highlighting a wide range of objects, including ceramics, furniture, metalwork, paintings, photographs, and textiles, the exhibition offers the chance for a large audience to see some of Chicago’s world-class holdings with works from the Art Institute, the Smart Museum, the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio, Crab Tree Farm, and other private and public collections.
- Last December, I came across this fascinating article in the Architect's Newspaper that discussed the possibilities digital fabrication brings to the built environment.
- Often neglected, yet so essential. Whether they're resting on the dining table or occupying the floor, the world would be a little darker without these beaming lights.