Coffee Break: Stockholm's Cafe Foam
Located in the Östermalm neighborhood of Stockholm, Cafe Foam channels "Spanish temperament with Scandinavian cool," according to its designers, local firm Note. Indeed, the interior features the prototypical Scandinavian blonde wood and spare detailing with splashes of magenta that evoke a more fiery feeling—an unexpected mashup as the latitudes (not to mention the design sensibilities) of Spain and Sweden are about as far flung as one can get in Europe. On a blustery day this past February, I popped in to catch a glimpse of how the city does design cafes (and to escape the intermittent snow flurries). The space was chic, filled with equally fashionable customers (Östermalm is the city's design district), and the baristas serve up a latte that would've tasted equally as good in more modest surroundings. Let's have a look inside the space…
@current / @total
- In our series, Coffee Break, Dwell editors travel far and wide to cover some of the most well designed coffee shops in the land.
- As much as we dine out for tasty treats, a restaurant’s atmosphere is at least half of the fun; we share some of our favorite designs here.
- Under-caffeinated Brooklynites have a new destination in Toby's Estate coffee, an Australian cafe import that opened in January. The company has been around since 1998 but for their first U.S.
- Greetings from Sweden!
- Heath Ceramics recently opened a factory and retail location in San Francisco and partnered with Blue Bottle Coffee to open a cafe inside of the 60,000-square-foot former industrial laundry.
- San Francisco has its fair share of third-wave coffee so we jumped at the chance to visit one of the East Bay's newest offerings.
- When you walk into the Financial District's newest third-wave coffee hot spot, Coffee Bar, it may seem like you're waiting under the arch of a proscenium rather than in line for a piping hot latte.
- In South Africa, Pedersen Lennard has crafted two cafes that showcase the design studio’s modern furniture and love of coffee.