Coffee Break: San Francisco's Coffee Bar
When you walk into the Financial District's newest third-wave coffee hot spot, Coffee Bar, it may seem like you're waiting under the arch of a proscenium rather than in line for a piping hot latte. And that's the whole point. This second outpost of Coffee Bar isn't trying to be like its neighborhood original where people spend lazy Sunday afternoons (or camp out all day on their laptops); it's a stage for the process of making an espresso drink. "As the third wave movement grows, we're exploring how this experimentation affects cafe design in a deeper sense," says J. Hulett Jones, a principal at jones | haydu, the architecture firm that designed the space. "We're exploring alternative layouts which highlight the artistry that happens behind the counter." In the slideshow that follows, Jones gives us the run down on his design. All images © Bruce Damonte.
@current / @total
- In our series, Coffee Break, Dwell editors travel far and wide to cover some of the most well designed coffee shops in the land.
- Sightglass Coffee's 20th street outpost is an archetypal San Francisco cafe—a space built to reflect the same values as the coffee sold within.
- A recent addition to San Francisco's Russian Hill neighborhood, Saint Frank Coffee serves its brews in a geometrically inclined modern space by local firm Openscope Studio.
- Nespresso has unveiled a sleek new flagship - its first boutique on the West Coast - in San Francisco.
The Scottsdale 68 Design District, Scottsdale, AZ announced a “Business Of Design” conference for the professional interior design community for October 28 and 29, 2010. Designing The Future of Design, a Design Symposium on the Business of Design will feature national speakers addressing the recent challenges to the interior design profession. The event will be held on the campus of the Scottsdale Design District.
The keynote speaker will be Michela O’Conner Abrams, President of Dwell Magazine and Dwell Media, a design and lifestyle media company based in San Francisco, CA. During her presentation “The New Face of Affluence,” Ms. Abrams will show how the economic downturn has created a new consumer mindset. She will provide research that indicates the age of conspicuous consumption and the era of “bling” is no longer relevant.
- San Francisco is Dwell’s birthplace, so it’s no surprise that we have featured many fantastic modern homes from the city by the bay. See some from our archives!
- San Francisco has its fair share of third-wave coffee so we jumped at the chance to visit one of the East Bay's newest offerings.
- Though they're not exactly the hottest design news in town, my daily walk to work up Sansome Street from the Montgomery BART stop has gained two attractive new bits of infrastructure in the past week…