Japanese designer Naoto Fukasawa recently collaborated with Alessi for a new cooking collection called Shiba (yes, after the dog, which Fukasawa describes as iconic and a breed that "expresses Japanese characteristics."). In addition to creating pots and sauce, he also worked with Alberto Alessi to create a recipe booklet. Here, we share Fukasawa's instructions for Cubed Pork with Eggs.
This recipe requires use of two saucepans, a pot, and a hiba wood cover, which is used while simmering. Fukasawa's Shiba collection was designed to include only the basic pots and pans households typically use on a day-to-day basis, such as a stock pot, frying pan, and a few saucepans. "With this range of products," Fukasawa says, "I wanted to create tools that people can continue to use throughout the years."
1 pound pork, boned back ribs
1 piece ginger
2 cloves garlic
Green end of 1 leek
2 cups Japanese sake
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons soy sauce
(1) Boil water in a six-inch-wide saucepan. Slide eggs into saucepan and boil for 7-8 minutes, until soft boiled. Immerse the eggs in cold water then shell.
(2) Cut pork into 1.5-inch cubes. Slice ginger thinly. Peel garlic and crush with the flat of a knife blade.
(3) Add pork, ginger, garlic, leek, and Japanese sake to a five-inch-deep pot. Add water so that it just covers the pork, put on high heat, and bring water to a boil.
(4) Reduce to low and simmer for one hour, removing foam. After the hour, remove pot from heat and let cool. Remove pork. Set pot and liquid aside (do not discard).
(5) Add 3/4 cup plus two tablespoons of the reserved liquid to a seven-inch-wide saucepan; add sugar and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Add pork; reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan with a hiba wood cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by half.
(6) Remove from heat and add the soft-boiled eggs. Let stand 2-3 hours for flavor to soak in and residual heat to disperse. Remove any fat that solidifies on the top of the liquid.
(7) Remove eggs and slightly warm the pork and liquids. Place in serving dish with the eggs. Enjoy.