Sneak Peek: Hyperlinks at AIC
In the new exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago titled Hyperlinks: Architecture and Design, AIC curator Zoe Ryan and collaborator Joseph Rosa, director of the University of Michigan Museum of Art (and former curator at the AIC), explore the contemporary intersections of architecture and design. Borrowing the term from the Internet and its jargo, the duo present 34 projects that explore the "'hyperlinking'" of ideas, expertise, and ways of making—drawn from fields as diverse as science, biology, communication, data visualization, manufacturing, and material innovation," president and Eloise W. Martin Director of the institute James Cuno writes in the exhibition catalogue. Read our conversation with Ryan about the new show and watch this slideshow of works from the exhibit, on now through July 20, 2011.
@current / @total
- A new exhibit opened this weekend at the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Our July/August 2012 issue, on newsstands now, turns the spotlight on designers' own homes across the globe.
- Fresh from our October issue, we chat with textile designer Jack Lenor Larsen about everything from breaking into the New York design scene in the 1950s to personalizing a space on a limited budget.
- In our October issue (on newsstands September 10), we venture into a house in São Paulo, Brazil that architect Isay Weinfeld designed for a family of six to offer a peace refuge from the busy…
- In tandem with Design Miami/Basel this June, Paris Galerie Patrick Seguin will present a prototype of Jean Prouvé’s Maison des Jours Meilleurs (Better Days House).
- In our October issue (on newsstands September 10), we tour developer Doug Burgum's green rooftop deck filed with local grasses and plants, LED-illuminated privacy screens, and a natural-gas…
- Fashion house Marni gives Dwell an insider’s look at their Salone del Mobile 2013 exhibition with the Education Department of the Castello di Rivoli Museo d’Arte Contemporanea.
- Duravit shares their latest collection, Starck 2, an updated series by Philippe Starck set to debut at ICFF this May.