Other Space Odysseys
Last week, Other Space Odysseys: Greg Lynn, Michael Maltzan, Alessandro Poli opened at the Canadian Center for Architecture in Montreal, Quebec. The exhibition explores solutions for space travel and habitation by looking at how a colony in space could find its grounding in a world without gravity, featuring a proposal for a new Jet Propulsion Laboratory for NASA, and showing of the 1972 film Architettura Interplanetaria by Superstudio, of which Poli was a member.
@current / @total
- This week we bring you a smattering of events and exhibitions opening and taking place this weekend along the West Coast. Have another to add to the mix? Tell us about it here.
Surveying a series of milestone Alessi collaborations from 1955 to the present, this exhibition focuses on Alessi’s projects with Ron Arad, the Campana Brothers, Achille Castiglioni, Michael Graves, Greg Lynn, Alessandro Mendini, Ettore Sottsass, Philippe Starck, Robert Venturi and others. On view will be 150 objects, drawings, historic factory photographs, and videos that document the achievements of the family-owned company’s projects.
- What is a home? There's the obvious answer of a place of residence or--at an even more elementary level--a structure that provides shelter.
- Out-of-the-box is so old school.
- An exhibition currently on view at the National Academy Museum in New York, Seismic Shifts, explores paradigmatic shifts in modern culture.
- Calling all film and design buffs! The Los Angeles County Museum of Art is currently showing the first U.S.
- For our December/January 2010 The Future issue, we asked science fiction writer Bruce Sterling to pen a piece describing The Future of Space Living.
- The Dwell team sees scads of exhibits, pop-ups, and installations on our journeys both physical and digital, every week, from all over the globe.