Open Studios at City Modern
Thirteen Brooklyn design studios—with locations ranging from Red Hook to the Navy Yard to Bushwick, and practices varying from furniture design to brand consulting to woodworking—opened their doors to the public as part of City Modern on Tuesday. The Brooklyn design culture has proved collaborative and supportive for many of the people whose work was featured. Needless to say, we spied exciting, innovative pieces in spaces to match during the event.
@current / @total
- On the second day of City Modern, find events throughout New York City, including the following:
- Designer Discussion with Thos. Moser, 1:00–2:00 p.m., Thos. Moser Showroom, 699 Madison Avenue, New York, Free
Dwell Editor in Chief Amanda Dameron will sit down for a design discussion with Thos. Moser head designer, David Moser. Amanda and David will discuss the iconic New England company’s design philosophy, longstanding quality craftsmanship, and how modern design tenets permeate through the company’s newer lines. Join us for champagne and light refreshments following the discussion.
- Brooklyn Self-Guided Tours, 2:00–5:00 p.m., Various Locations, Free
City Modern will open the doors to emerging designers' studios in Brooklyn. With unprecedented access to designers in their work environment, attendees will pique their curiosity and interact with the designers themselves to learn more about the creative process. Designers on the self-guided tours include: Snarkitecture, hOmE, Chen Chen & Kai Williams, Um Project, DMFD, Hellman Chang, Egg Collective, Todd Bracher, Olga Guanabara, Uhuru Design, TOKEN, Fort Standard and Click Boom Pow.
- Emerging Designers Panel Discussion sponsored by Silestone, 7:00–9:00 p.m., Museum of Arts and Design (MAD), 2 Columbus Circle, New York, $20
Jerry Helling, President and Creative Director of Bernhardt Design has made a career out of discovering new talent. This panel looks at trends and challenges facing young and emerging designers who are trying to find a foothold in the competitive design market. Wendy Goodman will moderate a panel with Helling and emerging Bernhardt designers: Taylor Pemberton, a New York-based designer and talented entrepreneur who recently launched Cavalier.com and Wantful.com; Sarah and Victor Lytvinenko, the founders of Raleigh Denim in North Carolina who were part of Helling's 'America Made Me' design show during ICFF in May; and the Scottish artist/designer Jephson Robb. Come and hear what it takes to make it in the NY design industry. Sponsored by Silestone.
CITY MODERN Presented by Audi is a joint venture celebrating design, co-created by the Dwell and New York editorial teams, led by Amanda Dameron and Wendy Goodman respectively. See below for CITY MODERN Presented by Audi programming.
- Though Egg Collective opened its wood shop in Brooklyn's Navy Yard in 2011, the of-the-moment design studio has been incubating for many years.
- Everywhere we looked on the show floor of ICFF, we saw our own faces reflected back.
- It’s become an all-too-familiar scenario all across America: A city’s downtown, once a thriving place to live and work, has slowly withered and become decrepit.
- Talk about farm-to-table. Having your own chickens means the freshest of eggs and no further than your own backyard. Of course, you'll need a place to house your hens.
- Each spring, New York Design Week gets bigger and better thanks in part to an ever-expanding roster at ICFF (more on that here) as well as the dedication of several local organizations presenting…
- New Zealand’s Studio Magazine goes behind the doors of Windy City design firms to see how the city's creatives work.
- Brooklyn-based contemporary artist Dustin Yellin places the pages of Dwell at the core of his transparent works.