LINES Ballet's Mod Sets
Last week I had the pleasure of seeing Alonzo King's LINES Ballet's new production "Triangle of the Squinches" at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. King has long been a San Francisco dance mainstay, a restless choreographer whose dazzling, athletic dances blur the lines between modern and classical ballet. For this performance he had two key collaborators: percussionist Mickey Hart (of the Grateful Dead), and architect Christopher Haas who did the sets. Haas's best known work to date are likely H.M. de Young Museum in San Francisco and 1111 Lincoln Road in Miami, two projects he managed for Herzog and de Meuron. After seeing the show, I had a chance to talk with Haas about the sets he designed for King. Have a look at the photos in this slideshow and read more about Haas's work. And if you're in the Bay Area, don't miss Triangle of the Squinches, which shows until Sunday, April 24th.
@current / @total
- Last week I caught the stunning dance Chroma at the San Francisco Ballet.
- New York City Ballet goers will be treated to a healthy dose of design this season.
- For co-founders Jake and Pum Lefebure of Design Army, family and business work well together.
- The iconic, and slightly atomic, form of the shiny silver Airstream is embedded in our cultural and design milieu.
- Following the revolution in 1959, Fidel Castro stood on the sprawling golf course of a country club known to be the stomping grounds of the rich and decreed that in place, a school dedicated to the…
- Steve Martin is widely credited with the off-handed critical cut: "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." And though modern dance troupes have taken up just that subject…
- Newly released by Harper Collins, Designs on Film: A Century of Hollywod Art Direction is a compendium of images celebrating iconic interiors and architecture.
- In our September 2012 "Open House" issue, we covered the renovated airstream of Austin, Texas's Stubb's. With the help of designer Burton Baldridge, the renowned concert venue…