What is a home? There's the obvious answer of a place of residence or--at an even more elementary level--a structure that provides shelter. But "home" carries a bigger meaning than just the building in which we rest our heads; "home" is a retreat, refuge, or personal santuary. A new exhibit at the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh, Imagining Home: Selections for the Heinz Architectural Center, showcases more than 125 drawings, models, books, and items from the museum's archives that tell the tales of how "home" as been envisioned over the past two centuries. Here, in our slideshow, we highlight a selection of items on display at the museum through May 30, 2010.
@current / @total
- This weekend features openings and closing around the globe--from Toronto to Pittsburgh to Beijing--plus a one-day program we couldn't be more excited about: Edible Geography blogger Nicola Twilley…
- This week's Out and About column features three new show openings and one closing. Can't make it to the exhibits? View our slideshow of selected images from the shows and read more below.
- Last week, Other Space Odysseys: Greg Lynn, Michael Maltzan, Alessandro Poli opened at the Canadian Center for Architecture in Montreal, Quebec.
- This weekend features two hands-on events and exhibitions demonstrating high-tech, energy-effiencent systems you can install in your home as well as the closing of some of the season's top…
- Stoller's images, which introduced modernism to a broader audience, anchor an exhibit of architectural photography at the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh.
- Since it opened in New York City in 1959, Frank Lloyd Wright's Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum has captivated the world--and its imagination.
- With a few days off and some time to travel, now is your chance to catch new shows as well as the tail ends of the exhibitions you've been meaning to make it to.
- Tonight, celebrate Earth Day with a discussion of water management at the Museum of the City of New York and catch Quicktake and Contemplating the Void before they close at the Cooper-Hewitt,…