Iannis Xenakis Drawings
Though I fear that I won't get to see it in person, The Drawing Center in New York has just opened a new exhibit of architect and composer Iannis Xenakis's drawings. Iannis Xenakis: Composer, Architect Visionary brings together loads of Xenakis's drawings, and illustrates the clear debt his architecture owed to music and what his music took from his work as an architect. The show is on through April 8th so get to it if you can. If not, then have a look at this slideshow to see what a truly powerful thinker he was. I love Xenakis, and though my cubicle-mates here at Dwell could happily leave his music aside, they'll certainly love his work as a draftsman.
@current / @total
- Clear your calendar: It's a weekend of closings in the architecture and design gallery scene.
- This long weekend sees two exhibition openings and two closings worth checking out: a look at Iannis Xenakis's work and the changing understanding of "landscape" in New York, Daniel…
The exhibition explores the fundamental role of drawing in the work of Greek avant-garde composer Iannis Xenakis (1922–2001). A leading figure in twentieth century music, Xenakis was trained as a civil engineer, then became an architect and developed revolutionary designs while working with Le Corbusier. Comprised of over 60 documents created between 1953 and 1984, this will be the first North American exhibition dedicated to Xenakis’s original works on paper. Included will be rarely-seen hand-rendered scores, architectural drawings, conceptual renderings, pre-compositional sketches, and graphic scores.
- As a pioneering voice in the diffusion of modern art and design, Josef Albers's contributions to printmaking, color theory and pedagogy cannot be overstated.
- Self-taught photographer Matthias Heiderich has spent the past three years roaming around Berlin, snapping photos with his medium-format film camera and Pentax digital camera.
- This weekend is one of gallery openings in all corners of the world, from a modern lighting show in Philadelphia to a Iannis Xenakis exhibit in Montreal to a display dedicated to Sanaa in Copenhagen.
- One of the best ways to keep tabs on what we're working on here at Dwell is to follow @dwellmagazine on Instagram.
- Each week Dwell.com delivers more than 50 original posts, articles, and interviews focused on the latest in modern design.