Dwell Celebrates Another Successful City Modern
@current / @total
- Dwell and New York magazines’ second annual City Modern is kicking off in just a little over a week and we’re already looking forward to the home tours and panels featuring some of New York’s great…
- How do American companies maintain handcrafted detail while producing fast enough—and in large enough quantities—to satisfy profit margins and consumers accustomed to instant…
- On the second day of City Modern, find events throughout New York City, including the following:
- Designer Discussion with Thos. Moser, 1:00–2:00 p.m., Thos. Moser Showroom, 699 Madison Avenue, New York, Free
Dwell Editor in Chief Amanda Dameron will sit down for a design discussion with Thos. Moser head designer, David Moser. Amanda and David will discuss the iconic New England company’s design philosophy, longstanding quality craftsmanship, and how modern design tenets permeate through the company’s newer lines. Join us for champagne and light refreshments following the discussion.
- Brooklyn Self-Guided Tours, 2:00–5:00 p.m., Various Locations, Free
City Modern will open the doors to emerging designers' studios in Brooklyn. With unprecedented access to designers in their work environment, attendees will pique their curiosity and interact with the designers themselves to learn more about the creative process. Designers on the self-guided tours include: Snarkitecture, hOmE, Chen Chen & Kai Williams, Um Project, DMFD, Hellman Chang, Egg Collective, Todd Bracher, Olga Guanabara, Uhuru Design, TOKEN, Fort Standard and Click Boom Pow.
- Emerging Designers Panel Discussion sponsored by Silestone, 7:00–9:00 p.m., Museum of Arts and Design (MAD), 2 Columbus Circle, New York, $20
Jerry Helling, President and Creative Director of Bernhardt Design has made a career out of discovering new talent. This panel looks at trends and challenges facing young and emerging designers who are trying to find a foothold in the competitive design market. Wendy Goodman will moderate a panel with Helling and emerging Bernhardt designers: Taylor Pemberton, a New York-based designer and talented entrepreneur who recently launched Cavalier.com and Wantful.com; Sarah and Victor Lytvinenko, the founders of Raleigh Denim in North Carolina who were part of Helling's 'America Made Me' design show during ICFF in May; and the Scottish artist/designer Jephson Robb. Come and hear what it takes to make it in the NY design industry. Sponsored by Silestone.
CITY MODERN Presented by Audi is a joint venture celebrating design, co-created by the Dwell and New York editorial teams, led by Amanda Dameron and Wendy Goodman respectively. See below for CITY MODERN Presented by Audi programming.
- This morning I spoke with Tom Moser, the man who founded the Auburn, Maine, furniture and woodworking firm Thos. Moser, about the reissue of his 1977 book, How to Build Shaker Furniture.
We will host a design lecture and feature light Maine fare and cocktails celebrating our Maine roots in our new Soho store.
Auction Item: Thos. Moser Wall Clock
Description: Encased in solid cherry, this distinctive quartz wall clock makes a perfect gift.
Image: please see attached image and let me know if you need a high res version
The Meridian Collection is the first to be introduced with ash as the primary wood from retailer Thos. Moser Furniture. While also offered in cherry, the clean, crisp aesthetic of ash creates an uplifting lightness that matches perfectly with this contemporary design.
The sinuous cherry frame supports a webbed back, upholstered in full-grain leather. A removable headrest provides additional comfort, if desired. The two-position Chaise reclines fully without any handles or gadgets. Simply lean back and let gravity do the rest.
Low in profile, the Edo Coffee table could not be more simple. The wide, planked legs are hewn from solid cherry panels, then grain-matched and joined at a compound angle and polished to luminous softness. The result is a graceful balance of loft and mass, both modern and classic and sized to fit in any room.