Art and Fashion by Sonia Delaunay
Opening March 18 at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York, "Color Moves: Art and Fashion by Sonia Delaunay" will feature the work of Delaunay, a French painter and textile and fashion designer known for her intensely colorful work. Among the more than 300 works on view—dating from the 1920s through the 1940s—are garments and textiles, with correlating designs, fashion illustrations and period photographs. "By showing her work at Cooper-Hewitt, the constant interplay between art and design will be strong and clear and by virtue of Delaunay's glorious colors, a very joyful experience," says Bill Moggridge, director of the museum. Here's a preview.
@current / @total
- Earlier this month, the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum unveiled its fourth exhibition in its National Design Triennial series: Why Design Now?.
- From Stuttgart, Germany to Iwaki City, Japan, we take a look at 15 of the most extraordinarily-designed libraries.
- Championing a radical and utopian vision, the artists profiled in the Guggenheim’s new exhibit Italian Futurism, 1909–1944: Reconstructing the Universe brought the concept of “total works of art” to…
- The threads of turn-of-the-20th century radicalism in the arts and design have by now pretty much been woven into one broad yarn: capital-M Modernism.
- This long weekend sees two exhibition openings and two closings worth checking out: a look at Iannis Xenakis's work and the changing understanding of "landscape" in New York, Daniel…
The exhibition will feature the work of Sonia Delaunay (1885 – 1979), including her designs for textiles and fashion in the 1920s through the 1940s, when she was intensively exploring the relationship between fabrics and contemporary art in terms of movement and color. Among the more than 300 works on view are garments and textiles, with correlating designs, fashion illustrations and period photographs.
- With his newest book, internationally renowned curator Hans Ulrich Obrist brings together 20 years of his do it project: an expansive series of artist-produced instructions, able to be replicated…
- This weekend, exhibitions are opening around the world showcasing vertical gardens and living roofs, a $2,500 car, and the best of the best in design.