Überblick by Thomas Heinser
Though the Golden Gate and the Bay Bridge are certainly the most famous, there are in fact seven bridges that span the wide waters of the San Francisco Bay. German photographer Thomas Heinser has spent the last few years photographing them and numerous other epic works of infrastructure in spots as far afield as Portugal and France for the series he calls Überblick. Überblick translates roughly as "over-view" and the show that goes up today, April 9th at Gallery 16 in San Francisco, is an accurate take on both the photographer's aerial vantage point and a greater notion of finding beauty in bridges, cloverleafs, wind turbines, and other bits of infrastructure that are usually passed over in the discussion of architectural aesthetics. Check out the slideshow, and be sure to stop into Gallery 16 between now and May 14th to see Überblick.
@current / @total
- On a recent sunny San Franciscan morning, associate editor Miyoko Ohtake put on a yellow vest, protective goggles, and a hardhat to partake in a deep-access tour of the new San Francisco-Oakland Bay…
- San Francisco's manufacturing tradition is getting a jump start thanks to SFMade, a weeklong celebration of makers in the City by the Bay.
- We have the great perk at Dwell to spend our days entrenched in the world of design.
- Seeing Orange Dutch Design Week in SF is in full swing now in San Francisco, showcasing the best in Dutch design here in the City by the Bay.
San Francisco Design Week is a growing celebration of San Francisco Bay Area design which includes an opening reception, Business and Design forums, studio tours, exhibitions, lectures, mixers, a closing party, and more.
Since 2006, AIGA San Francisco has organized San Francisco Design Week as a way to reach out to a diverse community of over 24,000 Bay Area design professionals as well as local businesses, non-profits, entrepreneurs, students, the design-savvy public, tourists, and more. AIGA SF will be partnering with the San Francisco chapters of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA), the Interaction Design Association (IxDA), the Society for Environmental Graphic Design (SEGD), and Adobe Systems, to sponsor a full week of events highlighting the diversity and professionalism of the design community around the bay.
For more information, click here.
San Francisco's manufacturing tradition is getting a jump start thanks to SFMade, a weeklong celebration of makers in the City by the Bay. Though the region's thriving tech industry regularly nabs headlines, the focus from May 6–12 is on things of a more goods-oriented sort. Discover locally made products, the people who make them, and where to buy them.
- A look at 17 of the longest, tallest, most artful bridges on the planet.
In honor of the Golden Gate Bridge's seventy-fifth anniversary, architect Donald MacDonald will lead a discussion and presentation on its history and design. MacDonald will focus on items in his book Golden Gate Bridge: History and Design of an Icon such as the famed span's engineering, construction, and coloring.