Home Tour Preview
One of the most exciting elements of any Dwell on Design is the home tours. We use the same curatorial eye that informs what you see in the pages of the magazine to select the dozen homes in and around Los Angeles that show up on our Westside and Eastside tours. For a preview of the Rome Residence by Fung+Blatt, which you can see on the Eastside Home Tour on June 25th, just read on. Then be sure to pick up your tickets here.
The residents of the recently constructed residence have shifted considerably, along with their requirements for the place. Yet the layout that Fung+Blatt designed for the artist couple who commisssioned the house works equally well for the family of four that supplanted them after just four months. Before they knew it the ground-level music studio with full-height doors had become a boy’s bedroom, and the painting studio, a guest bedroom.
@current / @total
- London-based Russian graphic designer Sonya Dyakova is making us rethink the notion of judging a book by its cover.
- Studio Milou’s restoration of a public pavilion showcases the beauty of the Marais.
- For many baby boomers, "retirement" is just a long way to spell "the end." This wasn't the case for Mike and Fiona Goodchild, a pair of retiring Scottish UCSB professors who wanted a home that would…
- The Bauhaus designer’s modern vision helped post-war American building see the future.
- Way back in our Dec/Jan issue that kicked off 2008, we told the story of the super groovy, surf bum-cum-architectural genius Harry Gesner.
- A recent addition to San Francisco's Russian Hill neighborhood, Saint Frank Coffee serves its brews in a geometrically inclined modern space by local firm Openscope Studio.
- Good professional design advice don't come cheap—but for two days at Dwell on Design in Los Angeles, it comes free!
- In last week's Friday Finds, photo director Anna Alexander clued us into the amazing work of photographer Todd McLellan.