Dwell Los Angeles Home Tours Day #2 Preview: East Side and Downtown
Showing image @current of @total
- The cover story on our June furniture issue details the Los Feliz residence of actors Adam Jones and Jayma Mays.
The Big Parade is a two-day walk through Los Angeles led by Silver Lake resident and author Dan Koeppel, who has been climbing and investigating the city's many forgotten staircases for the past six years. The trek begins downtown on Saturday, July 17, at the foot of the city's landmark—though currently defunct—funicular railway, Angel's Flight. Koeppel's tour will cover approximately forty miles and 135 stairways, and will include a (sadly, full) campout at the midpoint—the famously steep stairway battled by Laurel & Hardy in their Oscar-wnning 1932 short film The Music Box.
Some other highlights from the journey:
- A paddleboat traverse of Echo Park Lake.
- A "backcountry" bushwhack along a secret dirt road between Silverlake and Echo Park.
- A cross-country segment that runs through Griffith Park.
- Landmarks that are famous, not-so-famous, infamous, and just-plain-weird (over thirty of them, mapped and ready for viewing).
- A marching band.
- Visits with community groups and local organizations.
Interested? Check out the FAQ for more info.
- Representing the architectural eclecticism of L.A.’s west side, the five homes selected for day one of the Dwell Los Angeles Home Tours, to be held on Saturday, June 15, include both midcentury and…
Join The Los Angeles Conservancy at the Neutra VDL House in Silver Lake for a fundraiser featuring architectural historian, author, and professor Richard Longstreth. All proceeds will go directly toward the restoration campaign for the VDL, the glass research site and personal office of architect Richard Neutra.
- On a corner lot atop Melrose Hill, the slight rise in elevation just east of the Larchmont Village neighborhood in Los Angeles, the Ridgewood Residence glows like a lantern.
- Don't leave the kids at home when you head downtown to Dwell on Design this weekend!
Prior to the home tours, join Dwell and listen to the architects speak about their challenges, inspirations, and successes in designing and building the homes featured on the Dwell East Side & Downtown Home Tour and the Dwell Canyons & Valley Home Tour. After presenting the design philosophy behind the homes being showcased, design enthusiasts will have the opportunity to mix with the architects over cocktails.
Confirmed Presenting Architects:
Frank Escher and Ravi GuneWardena, House with 5 Corners
Noah Walker, Oak Pass Guest
Ray Kappe, Strimling House
Elissa Scrafano, Mendel Residence
Finn Kappe, Floegel-Shetty Residence
Christopher Mercier and Douglas Pierson, Kim Residence
Tom Marble, Tattuplex
- Want to see your work in print—or pixels? It's all in the pitch.