Bruce Bolander on Kitchen Design
Architect Bruce Bolander designs houses with, generally, very awesome kitchens. He's not afraid of color, and likes to clad his clients' cabinets with laminate in bright and electric hues. "My own bias is toward bolder cool colors," he says. "I always let my clients know that right away. But just because red isn’t my favorite color doesn’t mean they can’t have a red kitchen. Either way, I try to have a fairly uniform and limited palette of color and material in the kitchen. Kitchens tend to gather so much clutter and I find that starting off with clean and simple helps when the clutter occurs." Here, we've gathered together some of our favorite of Bolander's kitchen designs, both bold and more muted, and asked him to tell us a bit about each project. If you like what you see, come see Bolander speak in Los Angeles at Dwell on Design on June 25th on the Design Innovation Stage.
@current / @total
- Following our kitchen roundups shouting the joy of wood and celebrating the calm of all-white, here are eight home kitchens that dip into bright color.
- Whether a bold accent wall or a strip of red-hued plexiglass, a strategic infusion of color makes a kitchen pop. Here, five inspiring tips and tricks from some of Dwell's favorite kitchens.
- As previously explored in 20 Modern Kitchens We Love and Dwell's Coolest Kitchens, we take a look at five more well-lit, spacious beauties that are bound to inspire even a professional chef.
- From a hotel devoted to Pantone hues to a living room that resembles the inside of a whale (in a good way), our Pinterest board devoted to Color showcases exceptionally creative color use in…
- Let's be honest, working from home always sounds like a great idea but you need a well appointed and dedicated workspace to really get anything done.
- Working with a limited footprint, a daunting slope, and killer views, architect Bruce Bolander went vertical with a secluded canyon house in Malibu.
- This classic mid-century modern home in Lakewood, Washington, had great "bones" that had been compromised by subsequent remodels.
- From experts' picks on dish racks and cutlery to advice on building your dream kitchen, Dwell keeps the home fires burning with this handy cheat sheet.