Borrego Springs: McKenzie Residence
This spring, I had the chance to visit the tiny town of Borrego Springs in the middle of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in San Diego County, California. I was so taken with the place and its stunning mid-century design that I wanted to bring what I learned, and some of the people who taught it to me, to Dwell on Design. On Sunday, as part of an hour of programming about design in the desert, architectural historian Bill Lawrence and architect Trace Wilson took the stage to describe the place that means so much to them. In the course of their presentation, they showed a number of photos by an artist with a strong connection to Borrego Springs, Judy Parker. I want to share a handful of photos Parker took of one of the most inspiring houses I saw in Borrego, the McKenzie residence.
@current / @total
- A storied 1980 party house enters a mellower chapter of intimate gatherings filled with canapés, crooners, and cocktails.
- In honor of the summer travel season, we've collected 7 modern getaways in far-flung locations from India to New Zealand to Greece.
- One of the great pleasures of visiting the McKenzie Residence in our September 2012 story "Borrego Springs Eternal," is owner Stacey Chapman Paton's collection of mid-century furniture and…
- I posted some of the mid-century buildings in my last Borrego Springs update, but over the course of my three days in the desert I visited a half dozen really beautiful homes.
- Last week I was in Borrego Springs, California, a tiny town in the middle of the Anza Borrego desert in San Diego County.
- Spring is finally here, bringing more opportunities to hit the terrace for meals. Here are 11 of our favorite ways to set up for modern outdoor dining.
- In our September issue, we visited the Borrego Springs, California, home of Doug and Stacey Chapman Paton.
- A holding cell for clutter, a landing pad for laundry. Why is the bedroom so often an afterthought?