Royal Tichelaar Makkum
On a Spanish map from 1572, today’s location of Royal Tichelaar Makkum’s factory is already marked ‘bricaria’: a brickyard. It is the oldest proof of the company’s more than four centuries of uninterrupted ceramic history. By 1670, domestic pottery had replaced bricks as core business and from 1890 Royal Tichelaar Makkum concentrated on ornamental earthenware. The family company owes its continuity up to the present day to its appreciation of tradition, though with an eager eye for innovation.