Space-Efficient Renovation in New York
- Flashback to the early 1900s: After trying to woo an opera singer, but having to abide by the strict moral code of a woman entering a man's bedroom, William Lawrence Murphy invented the Murphy Bed,…
- A laser cutter or water-jet cutter can add a whimsical, decorative flourish to virtually any space. Here, from Dwell's archives, are seven creative uses of perforated metal.
Efficiency and productivity begin with the workstation. Some people prefer to stand and rove around unfettered, while others like to face the wall and use precious little horizontal space. Then there are those who champion piles and stacks—–citizens who claim to have methods to their madness but to outsiders appear to be drowning in papery detritus.
- A 450-square-foot apartment in the Upper West Side needed to accommodate the resident’s working, entertaining, and resting needs, without eating up precious inches.
- These tips for camouflaging storage space will keep your compact home feeling clean and uncluttered.
- To convert a musty mid-century house with a nonsensical floor plan into a modern and space-efficient family home, three intrepid designers played a bit of architectural Tetris.
- As the weekend slowly draws to a near, we've gathered up ten of our most clicked on homes on Dwell this week for your perusal.
- Tight quarters prove especially challenging.