How To Navigate Modern Building Codes
- Love superclean design but fear the building inspector? Here's our guide to skirting those modernist missteps.
- How one homeowner chose a savvy architect, made nice with the building code, and moved in without a hitch.
- Arm yourself with the vocabulary needed to navigate the world of building codes.
- Fuss all you like about sprinklers and guardrails, we need building codes. Here's how to get your architect to play along.
In a lecture series sponsored by the AIASF, Hans Henneberque, a fire service professional of over thirty-three years, will instruct architects and designers on how to create a safe buildings that adhere to California building codes. Earn 35 Health, Safety, and Welfare CEU units in the five sessions held July 7, July 27, August 3, August 10, and August 17.
- We searched through the Dwell archives to bring you our favorite lists of words you should know from building codes or restaurant jargon.
- Can you spot the 11 infractions in this modern house?
This course is designed for people with either basic plumbing,landscaping, or permaculture skills who want to learn how to design and
build simple, economical residential greywater systems. It will cover five common greywater systems, how to determine which is appropriate for the site, and how to install them. It will also cover plants, products, and codes.
There will be an optional exam and installation for people wishing to be certified and listed on our website. We're in the process of upgrading our site and it will include an "installer's page" with contact info for graduates of our course, as well as an internal list serve for installers to share info, experiences, and get support.
For more information about greywater systems, check out this video of Brett Bucknum of Hyphae Design Lab.