Design Icon: 8 Buildings by Hans Hollein
- The University of Toronto’s John P. Robarts Research Library contains 4.8 million books, 4.1 million microforms, and 740,000 “other” items (probably every episode of Degrassi, among other surprises).
- Derived from a descriptive term used by Le Corbusier, béton brut (raw concrete), Brutalist architecture is an offshoot of modernism that trades the spatial poetry of steel and glass for grounded,…
- Alvar Aalto, one of Finland’s greatest architects, made modernist masterpieces with a human touch.
- Good architecture makes the beautiful game look even better.
- With his newest book, internationally renowned curator Hans Ulrich Obrist brings together 20 years of his do it project: an expansive series of artist-produced instructions, able to be replicated…
- Bold curves, colorful accents and technical vision: Finnish-American architect Eero Saarinen’s body of work represents Modernism’s playful side in bloom.
- Spanning utopian works from the 1960s to a performance piece examining present-day domestic spaces, the exhibition 9 + 1 Ways of Being Political: 50 years of Political Stances in Architecture and…
- From furniture to interiors, Jewish designers made their mark on modernist American design in the postwar years.