Design Icon: 10 Buildings by Marcel Breuer
- One of the oldest types of public space gets reimagined in incredible visions of glass, steel and concrete.
- Although New Canaan gets the award for modernism in Connecticut (Breuer, Johnson...), the Constitution State has been known to welcome other forms of modern architectural experimentation.
- Clowns, churches, and an aquarium: Find out how far the boundless curiosity of Ray and Charles Eames stretched.
- 2014 Pritzker Prize winner Shigeru Ban’s body of work is a showcase of spatial and material innovation.
- Along with the gable and the A-frame, the butterfly roof is among the most distinctive of silhouettes. Seven Dwell favorites follow.
- This godfather of industrial design streamlined the look of midcentury America.
- These modern gems are slated for demolition, in need of repair, or the subject of fundraising campaigns.
- Alvar Aalto, one of Finland’s greatest architects, made modernist masterpieces with a human touch.