We're Not in Kansas Anymore
On May 4, 2007, Greensburg, Kansas, was wiped off the map. An EF5 tornado ravaged the small town of 1,400 residents, destroying or severely damaging 95 percent of the city. Less than a week later, however, the survivors did the incredible: At a meeting under a tent, they rallied to rebuild as a sustainable city.
Some community members at first were skeptical, but they later embraced the idea of following in the footsteps of their ancestors, who had lived off the land. With the backing of the city, state, and federal governments and the nonprofit Greensburg GreenTown, founded by nearby Stafford County residents Daniel Wallach and Catherine Hart, the town has become a sustainable mecca—boasting more than 25 green projects so far and attracting thousands of eco-tourists.
@current / @total
- After an EF5 tornado devestated the tiny town of Greensburg, Kansas, (then populartion 1,500) in 2007, the residents came together and did the unbelievable: Rebuilt as a sustainable town.
- Kansas City, Missouri, is the home of Make It Right's latest community revitalization project.
- One of our favorite writers here at Dwell is architect Dan Maginn. And he does some pretty stellar buildings as well with his Kansas City, Missouri, firm El Dorado Inc.
- We published and you read. Here's part three of our series on the most popular homes ever featured in Dwell. Find 1-20 here and 21-40 here.
- It's easy to overlook Kansas City, Missouri. Located squarely in the nation's center, it is better known for its barbecue and bebop than as an incubator for creative design and architecture.
- Kansas City is a sprawling 318 square miles. With the help of creative developers and architects, the three square miles that make up downtown are finally growing up.
- Hello from Scotland! I've had the rather good fortune to be invited for a bit of a design tour in Scotland, and I am reporting back on my first day and a half in Edinburgh.
- In August 2010, Kristi Reimers opened the doors of her shop Eco Carmel to fulfill a dream of starting her own businesses and also to make a difference to her Carmel, California, community and to the…