Weekend Detour: Beacon, New York
Located in the sleepy hamlet of Beacon, New York, Dia:Beacon attracts international visitors to its cutting edge design center and surrounding attractions. Residing on the site of a former industrial mecca, and created to house the Dia Art Foundation's larger works, Dia:Beacon provides a unique spot and weekend arts destination just outside the city.
@current / @total
- For 35 years, John Cronin has safeguarded New York’s waterways, investigating dozens of pollution cases and authoring three laws to protect the Hudson River and its communities.
- A comfortable hotel spanning four buildings that date back to the early to mid-1800s is much-needed addition to the town of Beacon.
- It requires a long and dusty trek across the desert to reach Marfa,Texas.
- If you've been following my tweets, you'll know that I've been in Mexico City for the last several days taking the lay of the design landscape. It's fertile down here, let me tell you.
- This year marks the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson's arrival in the New York Harbor, and while it may not strike everyone as an all-important historical event, it is the impetus for another cause…
- Dwell chats with Joshua Vogel, the carpenter-craftsman behind the lovely, hand-turned kitchenware and sculptural pieces from Black Creek Mercantile & Trading Co.
- Any traveler who’s been drawn to the magical desolation and unique energy of Iceland and its people knows that finding interesting places to stay has been quite a challenge.
ASID NY metro chapter cordially invites you to attend the SOHO/Tribeca Design Walk.
New York’s favorite showrooms will be offering exclusive events October 2-3, 2009. Event hours will be 12pm to 6pm each day.
This year’s event supports a very important member of our community; A.C.E. - the Association of Community Employment
programs for the homeless.
Each showroom has donated items that will be awarded through a silent auction at the closing event on Saturday evening (6pm-9pm).
Come join your industry professionals to learn about new trends and products, great networking, food and fun.
Make sure you stop by the following showrooms for events, lectures, parties and an ongoing silent auction over the course of the two-day event.
OCTOBER 2, FRIDAY
12–2PM Baker Furniture* “History of Luxury”
2–5PM Urban Archaeology Behind the Scenes Workshop Tour every 30 min
4–6PM Thos. Moser Cabinetmakers Cocktail Reception, light Maine fare provided
5–7PM BoConcept Cocktail Reception
5–7PM Davis & Warshow Cocktail Reception
5–7PM Hästens Cocktail Reception
OCTOBER 3, SATURDAY
12–2PM TOTO Gallery* “Staying Current with Bath Space Trends” TOTO Washlet 101: Lunch N Learn with Mimosas
2–4PM California Closets Lunch event
3–6PM The Rug Company Lemonade and cupcakes
6–9PM Lefroy Brooks**Closing event and silent auction
*The first 200 guests receive a special edition design bag
**The first 100 guests receive a special gift RSVP@lefroybrooksusa.com
Other participating showrooms: